Walmart Workers threaten to strike on BF!

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

alondra21
Black Friday Pro

Walmart Workers threaten to strike on BF!

Postby alondra21 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am

Just yesterday Walmart announced that this black friday will the the biggest and best one yet, but today I found an article that says disgruntled employees are threatening to strike on the worst day ever...... BF!?!
So far there are only 28 stores striking, but they say there are more to come.....

Link: http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart- ... ds-2012-10

Walmart Workers Are Threatening To Strike On Black Friday

Walmart workers are threatening to strike on the busiest day of the year--Black Friday.
A strike would undoubtedly create chaos on an already crazy day.
Protests have been building since last week, when Walmart employees staged the first-ever multi-store strike in the 50-year history of the retailer.
Steve Greenhouse at The New York Times spoke with Dan Schlademan, director of the union-backed Making Change at Walmart campaign.
From the NYT:
"He warned that disgruntled Wal-Mart employees, joined by labor unions and community groups, might stage a combined protest and educational campaign the Friday after Thanksgiving, the traditional start of the holiday shopping season."
So far, there are striking employees from 28 stores, with more to come.
Walmart is supposed to respond to the strikes with an announcement at its investor meeting today. It will be interesting to see how the retailer attempts to put out the fire before Black Friday.
Planning a strike on the busiest shopping weekend of the year would be disastrous for Walmart at a time when it's already facing holiday competition from Target, Costco and Amazon.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Re: Walmart Workers threaten to strike on BF!

Postby mechimpaired » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:29 am

This seems illogical to me.
Walmart is very anti-union and I am unsure how Walmart workers could even strike without a labor contract. I believe they could protest but a strike will equal job loss because there is no contract protecting their jobs.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:14 pm

I believe that there are a couple of unions are trying to organize workers...

they can strike without a collective bargain, it just makes it harder for the workers to be protected. most co's if you don't show to work on BF in retail it is automatic dismissal
steff

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:35 pm

With the schools in my area the teachers unions have it in their contract that they are not allowed to strike. So with the union contract striking = possible termination. However they still try to strike, and they will all use personal or sick days on the same day making schools try to scrabble enough substitutes to cover all the class's.

Maybe now walmart will have all registers open before and after BF. (we can only hope)

Also in another thread about walmart having the best year, I posted that I have a crazy suspission that walmart would do something like offer all of the sales online for a specific time period so people could go on and know they would get an item for the sale price as long as they are within the time frame of the sale. If that does end up happinging Walmart could just say HA srike all you want we will just close the stores for the day and do our deals online with free shipping.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

DramaticAnnie
Black Friday Pro

Postby DramaticAnnie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:59 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:Also in another thread about walmart having the best year, I posted that I have a crazy suspission that walmart would do something like offer all of the sales online for a specific time period so people could go on and know they would get an item for the sale price as long as they are within the time frame of the sale. If that does end up happinging Walmart could just say HA srike all you want we will just close the stores for the day and do our deals online with free shipping.

That would not fare well for us Canadians..

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:34 pm

DramaticAnnie wrote:That would not fare well for us Canadians..

Walmart doesn't care about canadians.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

ikey2
Forum Moderator

Postby ikey2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:35 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:
DramaticAnnie wrote:That would not fare well for us Canadians..

Walmart doesn't care about canadians.

Course Walmart dosnet care about anyone. But i like the idea if the strike it will get them fired and get some new people hired that do want to work and make money.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:45 am

Hopefully they win and get fair wages and benefits. Hope whatever they do, they win. They deserve it.
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:32 am

Doubt someone at Walmart would actually strike and risk losing their paycheck for good and missing a days pay if that is all the money coming into their household.

Walmart is a madhouse on BF and I do not envy those who have to work that day at any store
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

BFPrincess
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFPrincess » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:19 pm

DramaticAnnie wrote:
MikesTooLz wrote:Also in another thread about walmart having the best year, I posted that I have a crazy suspission that walmart would do something like offer all of the sales online for a specific time period so people could go on and know they would get an item for the sale price as long as they are within the time frame of the sale. If that does end up happinging Walmart could just say HA srike all you want we will just close the stores for the day and do our deals online with free shipping.

That would not fare well for us Canadians..

you can still shop online, you just need an American shipping address or ship site to store. I do it all the time and pay with paypal.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:43 pm

our union is standing with them....I wont be able to go there or order online

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:45 pm

So...random question:

Would this help get more check-out registers open?

*badum-tish*
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:09 pm

yeah...not likely, wal mart isn't very likely to bring scabs in to check people out and control chaos on a last minute deal like this.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:37 pm

I also find this one hard to believe. A lot of WM employees don't have enough on the line to organize and walk out. The ultimate anti-worker company would never let labor get the best of them. I'd bet they would hire from a temp agency or transfer people from another store. They've been known to fire a person for a single unexcused absence among many other transgressions.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 pm

if they get a bunch of big labor unions behind them....it could happen....
they have ours and we are part of the UA, There is a huge labor alliance backing them as well. I am starting to see ads all over Facebook.
steff

Return to “Off Topic”