What's for dinner?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

What's for dinner?

Postby azerigold » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:09 pm

So what are you all serving up or well eating up for dinner? haha...

Nothing fancy here, but I did make some homemade meatballs, some somewhat homemade sauce, so spaghetti and meatballs, with a veggie I haven't decided on yet, and garlic bread.

My husband is from Mexico so we eat a variety of foods. One night we might have beef tacos <beef cut up cooked w/onions and salsa with real corn tortillas>, the next we might have chicken w/apples/gravy baked in the oven with mashed potatoes, fried apples, a veggie and a roll, next night might be Chicken fajitas. Occassionally when the meat I use is on sale, I'll make tamales, not really hard or expensive, just time consuming.

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby kenziekinz09 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 pm

I want a crabcake. Or Chipotle.
Tek for weird uncle! TEAM SISTER WIVES 8)
My Disney Blog- http://www.kenziewdwcp.blogspot.com/

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:01 pm

We had Arby's thanks to a later than normal evening for all of us. Made homemade chicken and dumplings saturday night and homemade chili for the hubster sunday night so we will have a leftover night tommorow night. Planning on making baked pork chops on wednesday. That is all I know of so far this week.

bertaha
Black Friday Pro

Postby bertaha » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Roast and potatoes in the crockpot tonight.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:09 pm

i had a lazy dinner
cooked a rice casserole while i was on the treadmill. that bakes a little over an hour. then i cooked up some frozen veggies with stir-fry sauce and also some cottage cheese.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:11 pm

bfaddict wrote:i had a lazy dinner
cooked a rice casserole while i was on the treadmill. that bakes a little over an hour. then i cooked up some frozen veggies with stir-fry sauce and also some cottage cheese.

Sounds good except for cottage cheese <or as my brother has always called it, Rotten Cow Titty Juice LOL!!!!!! :lol: >
How do you make your rice casserole? And...Can I borrow your treadmill! I want one soooo bad, but haven't gotten one yet :( I used to walk a lot, and since I stopped, I've gained the weight. I keep telling myself I'd drive into the small nearby town and walk since it's a beautiful town with HILLS, just hard to do with a 5yo. As soon as my husband starts working nights she can sleep in while he's home and I can do it, but until then...

My kids LOVE chili so I make it once every other week or so. I love making a big pot of it towards the weekend, then the kids can eat the leftovers whenever they want during the weekend.

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary on 1/18, during the week, so it looks like we'll be having Tamales! I'm no master at making them, but everyone eats them up and says they are good! :) I make 2 kinds, pork with a mild red sauce, and chicken with a spicy green sauce.

Tomorrow it will probably be smoked pork chops that he buys from the Mexican grocery <their meat is better & usually a bit cheaper than other grocery stores plus it tastes better - fresh>. With salsa, and of course beans and rice LOL

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:30 am

We had tacos! :D

Tonight I'll eat out because I am going to the UNC / Miami basketball game and I'll eat somewhere in Chapel Hill.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:29 am

azerigold wrote:
bfaddict wrote:i had a lazy dinner

Sounds good except for cottage cheese <or as my brother has always called it, Rotten Cow Titty Juice LOL!!!!!! :lol: >
How do you make your rice casserole? And...Can I borrow your treadmill! I want one soooo bad, but haven't gotten one yet :( I used to walk a lot, and since I stopped, I've gained the weight. I keep telling myself I'd drive into the small nearby town and walk since it's a beautiful town with HILLS, just hard to do with a 5yo. As soon as my husband starts working nights she can sleep in while he's home and I can do it, but until then...

My kids LOVE chili so I make it once every other week or so. I love making a big pot of it towards the weekend, then the kids can eat the leftovers whenever they want during the weekend.

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary on 1/18, during the week, so it looks like we'll be having Tamales! I'm no master at making them, but everyone eats them up and says they are good! :) I make 2 kinds, pork with a mild red sauce, and chicken with a spicy green sauce.

Tomorrow it will probably be smoked pork chops that he buys from the Mexican grocery <their meat is better & usually a bit cheaper than other grocery stores plus it tastes better - fresh>. With salsa, and of course beans and rice LOL

yea all the nice walking areas for me are a good 15-20 min drive and ti drives me crazy!! so in the winter when i can't drive my scooter i'm stuck on the treadmill at home cause i'm not wasting the gas in truck to go drive and walk somewhere lol

the rice casserole (there is no official name lol) is sooooooooooooooooo good. it used to be the only rice i ate for years - my elementary/high school cafeteria first made it and i found a copykat recipe once i was out of school lol

1 cup of long grain white rice (or 2 cups of instant rice) - not cooked
1/2 stick butter (i think this is option - sometimes i do without and it's just fine)
1 can of mushrooms (also optional - most of the time i make it without since i don't have those on hand)
1 can french onion soup
1 can beef consumme soup

mix all together - bake at 350-375 for about 1:15 or 1:30.
last night i baked it at 375, set the timer for 60 min and then an additional 20. you just have to watch it to make sure the rice has soaked up all of the soup otherwise it will be mushy. if not sure, bake longer. i don't think you can really ruin it - just the longer you bake it the top will get kinda crunchy (which my friend likes). also from baking all of the onions in the french onion soup will gather at the top so once it's done baking and before serving just stir it.
i guess when i had it in high school it did have a name, but it was slightly different. it was called savory rice and it was chicken stock and beef consumme soup. but the french onion instead of chicken stock gives it more flavor.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:31 am

i'm undecided on what to do tonight..... i do have leftovers i could eat... but i made a REALLY good baked spaghetti last week and i want to make it again lol

all it was is cooked spaghetti with cream cheese stirred in, spaghetti sauce on bottom of pan, spaghetti/cream cheese mixture, spaghetti sauce on top. then topped with parm cheese and baked for 30 min.
the actual recipe called for ground beef and italian seasoning.
i think i'll never make regular spaghetti again!

cddd
Black Friday Pro

Postby cddd » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 am

Last night we had a smoked turkey, roasted brussel sprouts, a cucumber salad & a green lettuce salad.

Tonight for dinner I'm fixing a chicken fajita salad. It's basically everything you'd eat on a tortilla for a fajita, but on lettuce instead. We're cutting way back on carbs at my house, so instead of bread, tortillas, etc.....we use lettuce.

Oh and....I've got to fix a special pot of macaroni and cheese for my youngest son and youngest daughter. They don't like fajitas...lol

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:16 pm

We just finished up a big crockpot full of stew with white beans, ham bone, carrots, kale, onions, celery, garlic, potatoes and some other stuff lol. I didn't write down the amounts and it figures because the kids and hubby devoured it and want me to make it again.

For tonight, I can't decide between venison or some leftover turkey made into soup. Maybe turkey burritos?

cddd mentioned brussel sprouts and it reminded me that I have some in the fridge I need to cook up! thanks lol.

crazymomofthree
Black Friday Pro

Postby crazymomofthree » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:57 pm

We grilled hamburgers and hot dogs last night and have some leftover for tonight so that's what the kids will have. For me I'm thinking soup and salad. Hub is out this week so it's an easy week in the kitchen for me!

tlpbupu
Black Friday Pro

Postby tlpbupu » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Tonight we are having a salad, homemade hamburgers and homemade potato wedges.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

i'll probably just do leftovers tonight.... mainly rice and cottage cheese lol
i feel a migraine brewing.... bleh!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:36 pm

we did spaghetti and meatballs. I am going to cook a couple of packs of chicken strips tonight or tomorrow to have several meals out of, but dinner tomorrow night will likely be chili dogs to finish off the chili that C fixed Sunday.
Steff

Return to “Off Topic”