Anyone making gifts this year?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, hiker, lwmjr, ikey2

nprfool
Black Friday Pro

Anyone making gifts this year?

Postby nprfool » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:22 pm

In addition to my annual BF bargain hunt, I'll be making some handmade gifts this year. I recently picked up knitting again, and I've had several requests for scarves and hats, plus some cute little knitted Japanese dolls called mochimochi (they are fast to make!). My kids love making gifts as well, and will probably hand paint picture frames for grandparents, and make some small beaded and knotted bracelets for their friends. They are keen to try out some duct tape bracelets, too.

So what about you - anyone else making things as well? I'll try and post pics sometime after Turkey day.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Re: Anyone making gifts this year?

Postby steffj89 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:40 pm

I make bath salts, and I got a great deal on pint and half pint jars on clearance @ wal mart 6$ a dozen....freaking amazing!
So I have made 4 doz jars, 2 doz of each size. Will tie off with pretty christmas ribbon.
They are great for teachers, the ladies at the little convience store by the house, the ladies with the post office, neighbors, etc, and by the time I am done I have less than 1.25 in the small jars and 1.60 in the larger ones.

Steff

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:19 pm

I usually try to knit a few scarves for people. :]

I really like to do homemade gifts, or baked goods. My mother-in-law's birthday was just this past weekend and I made her a rainbow cake. She LOVED it! I forgot to take an after picture, but this is a before:

"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Very neat cake!

For adult gifts this year we did a name drawing and have to make a homemade gift for each other. I am sooo clueless what to make them as we got one of my sisters and one of my brothers. I am thinking possibly some decorated picture frames/albums they can use for their kids, maybe some homemade candies in a box or something of that sort that my kids can decorate.

We usually always decorate some kind of a gift bag or box, last year we didn't :( But we did make an army of homemade candies/pretzels for everyone to take home since we had Christmas at our house last year.
We've taken cardboard boxes, cut them and taped them to look like 'A' frame houses, the kids decorated them with wrapping paper and pictures they colored/cut out, stickers, bows, etc. We made the roof on each where it could be opened, and we put homemade candies inside. It turned out great! A lot of work but it was so worth it. We even did this for teacher gifts too :) I am not big on making homemade candy for teacher gifts, so we bought some cheap bags of mixed candies and put them in there.

The year before last the kids got the brown lunch bags, decorated them really cute, and we put an assortment of homemade candies and chocolate covered pretzels.

Not sure what we'll do this year, something similar perhaps. I am not big on candy myself, but it's fun to make, and I'm by no means a pro at it, so I stick with the easy stuff - which happens to be favorites anyway LOL I do make the vanilla/chocolate covered pretzels, peanut butter cups, chocolate covered cherries, and chocolate/vanilla bark.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 pm

i always make gifts! *cough* see link below - shameless self promotion *cough*

each year i always try to give my family members one thing handmade and one thing bought.
sometimes it's ornaments i make... sometimes paintings... last year i painted some beer mugs for my brother and dad... my mom got some of my jewelry...
this year i'm making photo blocks for my parents and my brother from the family photos we had done this summer.

i love making things for people. i'd rather just give handmade stuff all the time but sometimes i feel cheap for doing that.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:58 pm

I always make candy for my neighbors and extended family. Plus I make enough for my husband to take to his work and for my work. This year is going to PB balls, Oreo balls, Dreamsicle Frudge, Butter Pecan Fudge (specifically for my gran), and maybe a recipe I got for cookie dough truffles (safe to eat lol).

I tried for years to make homemade christmas cookies but my lack of artistic talent hindered my attempts.

nprfool
Black Friday Pro

Postby nprfool » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:06 pm

OMG I love those zipper bracelets, bfaddict! I have seriously thought about starting up a small business selling crafts, just enough to bring in a little cash, but I have been too hesitant to try. May I ask - how long have you been doing this, and how long did it take you to get established?

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:13 pm

bfaddict wrote:i always make gifts! *cough* see link below - shameless self promotion *cough*

each year i always try to give my family members one thing handmade and one thing bought.
sometimes it's ornaments i make... sometimes paintings... last year i painted some beer mugs for my brother and dad... my mom got some of my jewelry...
this year i'm making photo blocks for my parents and my brother from the family photos we had done this summer.

i love making things for people. i'd rather just give handmade stuff all the time but sometimes i feel cheap for doing that.

Love your creations, they are wonderful! I liked your page, and will share with my friends ;)

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:24 pm

nprfool wrote:OMG I love those zipper bracelets, bfaddict! I have seriously thought about starting up a small business selling crafts, just enough to bring in a little cash, but I have been too hesitant to try. May I ask - how long have you been doing this, and how long did it take you to get established?

this is my second holiday season. last year was just kinda blehhhh i didn't do too many shows cause i was just starting out and wasn't really into what i was doing. i was just making hodge podge crap lol.
but i've had a GREAT season this time. with a couple dud shows. it's just very important to get yourself out there and market yourself.
i mean i don't make a TON of money, my best show i made a little over $200, but for a 6 hour time period that isn't bad. but then last weekend i did a mall show where i paid $125 for the weekend and i made diddly squat - i think i sold $15 of stuff.
so you definitely have to weight how much you spend to create your stuff vs how much you make on selling. and i'm really horrible at that lol
not to mention the cost of displays for shows... that's the worst. i want to buy new display stuff SO bad but it's so expensive.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:24 pm

azerigold wrote:

Love your creations, they are wonderful! I liked your page, and will share with my friends ;)

thank you! :D

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:25 pm

mechimpaired wrote:I always make candy for my neighbors and extended family. Plus I make enough for my husband to take to his work and for my work. This year is going to PB balls, Oreo balls, Dreamsicle Frudge, Butter Pecan Fudge (specifically for my gran), and maybe a recipe I got for cookie dough truffles (safe to eat lol).

I tried for years to make homemade christmas cookies but my lack of artistic talent hindered my attempts.

i always want to do candy gifts for people!!! i just forget about it... haha

jemerid
Black Friday Pro

Postby jemerid » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:48 am

The kids and I made christmas ornaments. They will give them as gifts to in-laws and teachers, etc... They turned out well. They are the glass stencil ornaments with bunches of bling bling...thats about as creative as I get...

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:23 am

I was thinking about homemade ideas last night, trying to figure out what the kids could make to give relatives this year. I was thinking they could make the reindeer picture frame, you know the little ones they do at school sometimes with popcicle sticks? I need to find instructions on how to make them as it's been so long and I don't think we have one anymore to go off of. I thought it could be fun for the kids to make one, put a picture of the kids in it, and give it out with Christmas cards which will have a different picture of the kids on it.

I'm just trying to figure out our Christmas theme this year! I might have the kids wear something nice - not formal or pj's and get pics in front of the tree, or have them pose outside.
Last year we put the headband antlers on their goats and they took pics with them LOL It was so much fun! I'm sure we'll figure something out, even if it's not as silly as last year!

caroleena
Black Friday Pro

Postby caroleena » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:11 pm

i have always done variations of scrapbooks, and last year began making jewelry. this year i am not doing as much b/c i am having a "laid back" holiday. my bff's will get something handmade and my friends 2 little girls will but other than them, and my sons, thats it. FALALALALA. i'll post pics later. gotta go start pies and many things with pecans (we had a bumper crop this year!)

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 pm

We went to Michaels Saturday night and got a wooden box we'll paint and decorate for my brother. I'm going to paint and decorate a couple of picture frames, and also made him a photo book at Walgreens. Sure Walgreens isn't the best, but the price is right and the book will be fine <I hope!> :) Going to put those in the box.

Making my dad a calendar at Walgreens with pictures of my kids, and some family from over the past year, plus I am gathering up a bunch of relatives birthdays from sisters to brothers, his brothers/sisters, and all his grandkids, as you can add them into the calendar, I figure he will like it :)

So far for my sister I've bought a little coffee table type wooden box that his photo slots on each side, and swivels around, has a lid, going to paint it and decorate it, plus decorate a couple of picture frames. I am totally clueless as to what else I can make for her. I don't get to see her very often and don't have any pictures of her 2 grandbabies so I'm not real sure about making her a photo book....I might end up making her a little gift box with a small bottle of perfume, and some other 'pamper me' items ;)

My next big task is to get some good updated pictures of my kids for Christmas cards. I have no idea what we should do this year. I am not sure what 'theme' to go with, I'd love to do something other than in front of the tree, and last year they posed in the snow with their goats who were wearing reindeer antler headbands LOL
Maybe we'll take them out this weekend and find a place to get some pics, plenty of opportunities around here, just doesn't seem 'Christmasy' pics without snow. Oh well!

Return to “Off Topic”