Amazon Prime

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

allysonc
Black Friday Pro

Amazon Prime

Postby allysonc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Ok is this really worth getting? When you are allowed to watch movies.. Are they the newly released ones.. or just all old films?

Who all is getting the Kindle Fire?

I kind of want to get this somepoint if I can watch new films/tv from it etc perhaps..

:)

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Re: Amazon Prime

Postby inthedark » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:08 pm

allysonc wrote:Ok is this really worth getting? When you are allowed to watch movies.. Are they the newly released ones.. or just all old films?

I kind of want to get this somepoint if I can watch new films/tv from it etc perhaps..

:)

Get a free trial and check it out, I think it is so worth it, more so around the holidays

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:15 pm

I have had Prime for a few years now. I have lots of subscribe & save items that I no longer have to remember to order. I love being able to order gifts for family & friends & have them shipped in 2 days. We order at least once a week & sometimes more for any item we can't find around here or if it is the same price we get it frm Amazon. I haven't watched many movies so I can't comment on that.

allysonc
Black Friday Pro

Postby allysonc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Hrm if someone gave me a gift card to amazon.. you think you can use the giftcard to buy amazon prime? lol.

caravaggio
Black Friday Pro

Postby caravaggio » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 pm

No sorry.

Pre-paid gift cards can't be used to sign up for Amazon Prime membership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... eId=518224

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Keep in mind if you have an .edu email address, you can get it free for 6 months. I used my .edu and had it and when it expired, I paid to renew it. It's well worth it, especially if you order a lot from Amazon. I order at least $100 a month from Amazon so it's well worth it to me to get the free 2 day shipping. If I really need something fast, I pay the $3 and get overnight delivery. I <3 Amazon!!!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

LHaro
Black Friday Pro

Postby LHaro » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:01 pm

I love Amazon Prime - but I get it for the free shipping not for the movies. The movies are not new releases, but it's still a nice bonus.

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Postby kenziekinz09 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:07 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Keep in mind if you have an .edu email address, you can get it free for 6 months. I used my .edu and had it and when it expired, I paid to renew it. It's well worth it, especially if you order a lot from Amazon. I order at least $100 a month from Amazon so it's well worth it to me to get the free 2 day shipping. If I really need something fast, I pay the $3 and get overnight delivery. I <3 Amazon!!!

I got mine free for a year when I used my .edu. They also have a trial for parents called "amazon mom". You don't get access to the movies with the free trial if I remember correctly though.
Tek for weird uncle! TEAM SISTER WIVES 8)
My Disney Blog- http://www.kenziewdwcp.blogspot.com/

robert_cowper
Black Friday Pro

Postby robert_cowper » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Ok is this really worth getting?

100% yes. I was skeptical at first. My mom and girlfriend thought I was crazy to essentially pay ahead of time for shipping. One of the best shopping decisions yet. I buy some groceries (best price and selection on Pop Chips I've found!), clothes and almost all of my books through Amazon. Not only are the prices usually very good, but you get the fast shipping for free. I must live near a shipping center/warehouse because even when I skip the overnight delivery, it's usually here the next day :!:

When you are allowed to watch movies.. Are they the newly released ones.. or just all old films?

The video selection isn't great, but it's not that bad. Netflix still has the lead here for streaming (although, Amazon is cheaper, so pick your poison). The top viewed TV series right now are Yellowstone, Arrested Development, 24, Amazing Planet and NOVA. The top viewed movies are Super Troopers, Time Bandits, Food Inc, Elizabeth and Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.

[two thumbs pointed at this guy]

I sound like I work for Amazon, but my experience with Prime has been spectacular. Also, I firmly believe that as they continue to try and conquer the likes of Apple (e-reader, tablet, music/e-book store), Barnes and Noble (e-reader, tablet, e-book store) and Google (music/e-book store, they now incorporate outside product listings on pages so you can really one-stop-shop) us Prime Members will continue to reap the benefits.

The newest addition is the Kindle Owners Lending Library which lets you "borrow" one select Kindle book per month and return it whenever your're done at no cost for Prime Members. More info: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000739811

Anybody can do a 1-month trial, so definitely try that. I would suggest timing it with your holiday shopping so you're covered until the end of the year; I started mine in the beginning of November and was so hooked on Amazon Christmas shopping I couldn't give it up!

ptldrabbit
Black Friday Pro

Postby ptldrabbit » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:46 pm

I will jump on the Amazon Prime bandwagon too . . . . I LOVE IT!

One of the features that I like most, is that you don't just have to ship to your own address. You can ship to any name and address. I used the free trial around Christmas two years ago and haven't looked back. I no longer have to buy shipping boxes either, the Amazon boxes are great.

I have yet to use the movie service but plan to.
Life is uncertain . . . . . eat dessert first and then go shopping!

danimo
Black Friday Pro

Postby danimo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:18 pm

I think it's worth it. Before I renew I always look at how many times I ordered and consider the price for 2 day shipping. It's always cheaper by prime... Anyway the movies aren't the main thing, but with netflix losing their starz contract, it'd maybe be enough for me to cancel Netflix and save $10 a month...

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:33 pm

I signed up for the free trial for shipping. I think if you order a lot from Amazon it's worth it, but if your like me, then it's not. But then I don't buy a lot of stuff like movies, electronics, etc.
I used it to get some books because I needed 2 day shipping and they wanted to charge me like $30 for shipping.
Umm...I live like 15 minutes from their warehouse and YES the items came from THAT warehouse....LOL

BFBrandon
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFBrandon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:20 am

If you're thinking about signing up for the trial, keep in mind that you need to opt out before the end of the trial priod or you'll automatically be charged the $79 annual fee. I've heard a lot of great things about Prime, and everyone on this thread seems to echo that. However, if it doesn't seem to be working for you, end the trial to avoid any issues with getting your money back.
"I swear I'm just as cool as Huy!"
Editor & "Resident Toy Expert" - BF Ads

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:03 am

BFBrandon wrote:If you're thinking about signing up for the trial, keep in mind that you need to opt out before the end of the trial priod or you'll automatically be charged the $79 annual fee. I've heard a lot of great things about Prime, and everyone on this thread seems to echo that. However, if it doesn't seem to be working for you, end the trial to avoid any issues with getting your money back.

Ditto.

Blondie22
Black Friday Pro

Postby Blondie22 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:09 am

If you're a mom you can sign up for Amazon Mom and you get Prime for 3 months. Then every qualifying purchase of $25 or more earns you another month. You max out at 12 months. I don't expire until June, but I'm definitely considering renewing. I would definitely pay more than $79 in a year in shipping, with the amount I order on Amazon! I haven't purchased diapers in a store since my son was 3 weeks old and he's now almost 7 months! Plus, my husband is deployed right now, and Amazon gets stuff to him in about a week! My packages take 2 weeks or more!
I love Amazon!

Return to “Off Topic”