Telling kids about Santa

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Telling kids about Santa

Postby drinkgreen » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:43 pm

This may be more of a problem for Black Friday shoppers than anyone else. Kids eventually will notice that parents are doing an awful lot of shopping throughout the Christmas season, considering that Santa is supposed to bring everyone presents. And of course, there is always that little smart-$@# at the kids' school that tells them Santa isn't real.

I remember finding out about Santa when I was 6 years old from a kid at church, which kind of broke my heart. My wife actually didn't find out about Santa until she was 13!

How did you, or how are you planning to, break the news to your kids about Santa? Did it go well? We are raising our daughter with the idea that we, her parents, get her the nice stuff she really wants, and Santa just comes in and brings nice little extra stuff like stocking stuffers and small gifts. That way, in theory, when she finds out about Santa, it won't be as big of a blow because she already know Mommy and Daddy got her the big gifts.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:53 pm

What I have told our kids whenever they have EVER asked from young young is that santa is magic, and as long as you believe and you give of yourself the magic will last....that every time we donate or help out at a food pantry we are helping Santa;s magic stay alive. They have long known that I wrap some of their santa stuff and have seen santa presents for others hidden at our house...what I always tell them is that not everything will fit in the sleigh on one night and moms and dads have to help santa to get everything ready. the only thing santa brings on Christmas eve at our house is the stocking stuffers.

this seems to work because all stockings are filled on christmas including mine and their dads.

and that when you are grown (I have been arbitrary...if you can drive you are grown)...Santa continues to fill stockings but other things are no longer done...not sure if that makes sense.

Steff

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:59 pm

my daughter never really paid attention to the fact that none of her gifts said from santa until she was in first grade. then she heard a story about how santa always leaves a gift behind the tree. so i had to start doing that. I just told her she only got the one gift from santa because he knows she has mom, nana, and a bunch of aunties and uncles to buy her things. he leaves just one toy just to show that he knows she was a good girl all year, and that by only leaving her one gift, he has a lot more toys for all the kids who don't have families. and then i never really told her he didn't exist, because santa was still leaving one gift behind the tree up until her senior year of high school. so i'm not really sure when she knew for sure he's not real

elle_fleur
Black Friday Pro

Postby elle_fleur » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:11 pm

My parents never told me Santa was real or fake. At Chistmastime, my parents just gave a halfhearted attempt to make us think Santa was real. Eventually (and it must have been a very early age) I just kinda figured it out on my own. There was no big revelation considering my parents didn't try too hard to make us think Santa was real anyway.

LHaro
Black Friday Pro

Postby LHaro » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:24 pm

In our house Santa only brings one gift - the rest are from family. I don't remember my parents ever telling us that Santa wasn't real -- we just figured it out. Not sure how we'll handle that yet -- hoping to have a few more years before it comes up.

nikol0304
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikol0304 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:41 pm

My stepdaughter figured it out on her own when she was 10. My boys are 3 and 5. They all usually get a few gifts and stockings from Santa, and most of their bigger gifts from mom and dad.

I figured it out on my own when I was about 10 as well. I don't really recall anyone telling me he wasn't real. My mom wasn't smart enough to use different handwriting or different wrapping paper for the gifts from Santa. That gave it away. :-)

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:54 pm

i figured it out because one year after coming home from midnight service, i was suppoes to be in bed but then i thought of something i needed to get up and tell my parents (or something) and i came out of my room and saw my mom, dad and aunt (she always stayed with us xmas eve) bringing up gifts from the basement. haha!

that same aunt... she's now married and has 2 kids.. when they were younger her oldest son thought he would be sneaky and set up a video camera in their living room to 'catch' santa. he did it without my aunt and uncle knowing! smart little booger lol

angel_of_oz
Black Friday Pro

Postby angel_of_oz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:09 pm

I had seen this story the other day and thought it was great. Really creative way to explain "Santa" when asked about him!

http://theconciergemom.wordpress.com/20 ... anta-gulp/

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:24 pm

Figured what out...?

Santa still comes to our house every year with gifts and fills our stockings.
We're 42 and 39

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:41 pm

What the hell are you talking about...Santa's real...you're one of THEM!!!!!

Take your doubting ways and stink up someplace else!!!! :lol:

I love Santa...me and him are on great terms.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Pretty sure my 6th grader knows...BUT she knows we are pretty tight with money so can't figure out how Mom could make "Santa" happen.

We have always told them, if they believe- Santa comes. If they are on the team of "Santa isn't real" like the kids at school...then Santa crosses you off the list and your Mom/Dad have to be the subsitute.

Once the oldest gets out of elementary school - we will have the talk about how Santa is the "magic" of the season and everyone that wants to can let Santa inside of them.

my4boyz98
Black Friday Pro

Postby my4boyz98 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:30 am

[quote="bfshoppermom"]Pretty sure my 6th grader knows...BUT she knows we are pretty tight with money so can't figure out how Mom could make "Santa" happen.
quote]

Us too lol.......That's is what has my two youngest confused, and not 100% sure. Every Time they ask, I always say something like, "well do you really think Mom can afford all this stuff" and they back off lol. It also helps that the mantra at my house is "If you don't believe, you don't receive" so not one of my kids has ever admitted they don't believe in Santa lol...........including my 19 year old. I know the younger two are pretty sure there is no Santa, but they just can not wrap their heads around where we get their stuff lol. It does not dawn on them about the overtime, or the saving, putting a little back part.

kcurls
Black Friday Amateur

Postby kcurls » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:05 am

I love the letter from the blog posted above! What a beautiful and creative way to explain Santa. My 8 year old has been asking lately, and she's beginning to see that some things just don't add up. I may have to try this.

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:04 am

Dont think my kids will think Santa isnt real for awhile... 2 years ago, I had a friend climb on the roof to make noises as if Reindeer... and had another friend come into the house dressed as Santa... We just happened to let our kids stay up late... They were tickled pink and got a picture with Santa which is on our fridge now. The looks on their faces were definitely priceless... Our daughter was actually speechless.. which is a first for her.

Unfortunately with me though, my parents never celebrated, so I never had the pleasure of believing. :(

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:23 am

hiker wrote:Dont think my kids will think Santa isnt real for awhile... 2 years ago, I had a friend climb on the roof to make noises as if Reindeer... and had another friend come into the house dressed as Santa... We just happened to let our kids stay up late... They were tickled pink and got a picture with Santa which is on our fridge now. The looks on their faces were definitely priceless... Our daughter was actually speechless.. which is a first for her.

Unfortunately with me though, my parents never celebrated, so I never had the pleasure of believing. :(

that's cute. i used to put baking soda on the carpet leading from either the sliding door on the patio, or the front door, leading to her bed, then to the tree. Then i'd get a big pair of shoes, usually from my brother in law, and make footprints. then when she woke up she could see santa came to make sure she was asleep before leaving her gift.

Return to “Off Topic”