** ANNUAL DEBATE ** - 'Merry Christmas'/'Happy Holiday'

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:48 pm

I tend to say happy holidays. I'm a high school teacher and many of my students are Jewish. Half the time I don't know which, so it's just easier to simply say happy holidays.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:19 am

krazymop wrote:I tend to say happy holidays. I'm a high school teacher and many of my students are Jewish. Half the time I don't know which, so it's just easier to simply say happy holidays.

again, the easy way out. What did you grow up hearing? Merry Christmas I bet. If it was Chanukka you can say 'Happy Chanukka' - so why not 'Merry Christmas' at Christmas?

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:48 am

XmasDVD wrote:
krazymop wrote:I tend to say happy holidays. I'm a high school teacher and many of my students are Jewish. Half the time I don't know which, so it's just easier to simply say happy holidays.

again, the easy way out. What did you grow up hearing? Merry Christmas I bet. If it was Chanukka you can say 'Happy Chanukka' - so why not 'Merry Christmas' at Christmas?

So you'd rather I told my Jewish students "Merry Christmas"? The day before Christmas break, I do say "Merry Christmas to all who celebrate" (or something along those lines)

nikol0304
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikol0304 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:57 am

XmasDVD wrote:

I think you just like to argue.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:34 am

krazymop wrote:
XmasDVD wrote:

So you'd rather I told my Jewish students "Merry Christmas"? The day before Christmas break, I do say "Merry Christmas to all who celebrate" (or something along those lines)

yes, why not? It's CHRISTMAS break - not HOLIDAY break. Of course, these days, it prob is called HOLIDAY break.

elle_fleur
Black Friday Pro

Postby elle_fleur » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:00 am

Why on earth would you wish Jews a Merry Christmas when you specifically know they do not celebrate the holiday. I know it is just an expression of goodwill but it still seems like a bizarre thing to do.

nikol0304
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikol0304 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:30 am

elle_fleur wrote:Why on earth would you wish Jews a Merry Christmas when you specifically know they do not celebrate the holiday. I know it is just an expression of goodwill but it still seems like a bizarre thing to do.

Sounds more like an ignorant thing to do.

But in this situation...it would be rude and offensive.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:42 am

Wasn't Jesus Jewish?

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:25 am

XmasDVD wrote:
krazymop wrote:
XmasDVD wrote:

yes, why not? It's CHRISTMAS break - not HOLIDAY break. Of course, these days, it prob is called HOLIDAY break.

My school has off for Rosh Hashanah. So should I say have a happy Rosh Hashanah to every student?

GinaBeana87
Black Friday Pro

Postby GinaBeana87 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:02 pm

nikol0304 wrote:
elle_fleur wrote:Why on earth would you wish Jews a Merry Christmas when you specifically know they do not celebrate the holiday. I know it is just an expression of goodwill but it still seems like a bizarre thing to do.

Sounds more like an ignorant thing to do.

But in this situation...it would be rude and offensive.

+1

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:34 pm

LostYoMind wrote:If people are wishing me well I just thank them and say "you too" I'm not going to be upset with someone for wishing me well.

Well said! But I'm just always like "whatever."
Last edited by iamkristen on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:42 pm

krazymop wrote:
XmasDVD wrote:
krazymop wrote:
XmasDVD wrote:

My school has off for Rosh Hashanah. So should I say have a happy Rosh Hashanah to every student?

Here's what you do - you figure out what *YOU* celebrate - Christmas, Rosh Hashanah, Kwanzaa, whatever and THAT is what you wish them.
I wish people MERRY CHRISTMAS no matter who they are...on a Jewish Holiday, I am not Jewish, but I do also say "Happy Rosh Hashanah" or whatever celebration it is, too. I go by what the calendar tell me the day is - not by who I am talking to. On Boxing Day I wish EVERYONE (not just Canadians) Happy Boxing Day!

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:16 pm

I somehow doubt you tell everyone you meet happy rosh hashanah.

GinaBeana87
Black Friday Pro

Postby GinaBeana87 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:08 pm

So you tell men happy mothers day? If you know someone doesn't celebrate a holiday why would you you say anything about it?

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:32 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! - That's what I said when I worked retail.

If I was speaking to someone who obviously and noticeably was another religion, I said Happy Holidays....never had a problem and everyone loved it!

Remember...when you say "Holiday" you are actually saying "Holy Day" - so you are wishing someone a wonderful day of observerance - so combining that with Merry Christmas always worked wonders.

Then after Christmas, it was have a happy and safe New Year!

Return to “Off Topic”