** ANNUAL DEBATE ** - 'Merry Christmas'/'Happy Holiday'

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

** ANNUAL DEBATE ** - 'Merry Christmas'/'Happy Holiday'

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:14 am

We do this thread every year.
Your thoughts on 'Merry Christmas'- vs- 'Happy Holidays' in retail stores??

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:17 am

I'm not a "PC" person...I say "Merry Christmas", and if you don't like it then ignore it. It's been "Merry Christmas" forever until some lame group decided to change it in recent years.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:19 am

Agreed. One of my big pet peeves this time of year.
"Holiday Season" is fine but it is "Thanksgiving" and "Christmas"

Michael
The King

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:23 am

Either, I don't understand the fit some people throw over using one over the other. The holidays are supposed to be a joyous time; get over the verbiage and enjoy the season.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:27 am

Michael wrote:Either, I don't understand the fit some people throw over using one over the other. The holidays are supposed to be a joyous time; get over the verbiage and enjoy the season.

Exactly!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 am

"Merry Christmas"

When I worked retail I was told to say "Happy Holidays". A co-worker told me that if she saw the person wearing a cross, she would say "Merry Christmas". She didn't get in trouble.

elle_fleur
Black Friday Pro

Postby elle_fleur » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:47 am

I'm not PC whatsoever but if you don't know someone and wish them a Merry Christmas... how do you know they aren't Jewish... or whatever different religion. I don't think it's anything to get bent out of shape over but if I don't know someone I'm not going to assume they're Christian. That's a pretty big conclusion to draw from a stranger.

For those who say you can celebrate Christmas without being Christian... that's all well and dandy but it is a Christian holiday and the root of the holiday is about the birth of the messiah. Many people do not partake... just sayin'

Koffeelover
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Koffeelover » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:14 am

U no, just thinking back to high school days (MANY years ago) about wishing Merry Christmas to one of the principals. Later I learned from him he was Jewish, and NO it was not a holiday he recognized, BUT he did understand it was a holiday for me and many other people, so there was no offense taken when I said it to him. And he said I wish YOU a Merry Christmas because I respect your religious beliefs just as I hope u respect mine, so again MERRY CHRISTMAS, he said to me!

LostYoMind
Black Friday Pro

Postby LostYoMind » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:31 am

If people are wishing me well I just thank them and say "you too" I'm not going to be upset with someone for wishing me well.

crazymomofthree
Black Friday Pro

Postby crazymomofthree » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:35 am

It's always been Merry Christmas, feels kinda strange saying Happy Holidays but don't mind which ever is said to me and so far no one has ever gotten upset for me saying Merry Christmas.

amyjam0807
Black Friday Pro

Postby amyjam0807 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:38 am

Koffeelover wrote:U no, just thinking back to high school days (MANY years ago) about wishing Merry Christmas to one of the principals. Later I learned from him he was Jewish, and NO it was not a holiday he recognized, BUT he did understand it was a holiday for me and many other people, so there was no offense taken when I said it to him. And he said I wish YOU a Merry Christmas because I respect your religious beliefs just as I hope u respect mine, so again MERRY CHRISTMAS, he said to me!

Kind of a simliar story - I have a couple of Jewish friends and they could care less if someone wishes them a Merry Christmas. We live right in the "Bible Belt" in Oklahoma. They understand most people here celebrate Chistmas. To them its just nice to see "good will" among people and its a great time of year when people actually slow down and wish each other well. The only thing that does bother them is when people start "bashing" other religions saying they ruined it because they wanted everyone to be "PC". Its only a handful of people that care I think if you accidently say Merry Christmas to them.

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:45 am

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night!

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 am

I'm an atheist. I do not celebrate the birth of Jesus in any way. I still wish people Merry Christmas, and am not at all offended when people wish me Merry Christmas.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:22 am

I like to greet based on the Holiday.

Merry Christmas
Happy New Year
Happy Valentine's Day
Happy Easter
Happy Thanksgiving
etc...

bigtate
Black Friday Pro

Postby bigtate » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:40 am

I do find it a little funny that big retailers will punish an employee for saying Merry Christmas...but then they spend months of work and millions in advertising to get people to buy presents to celebrate Christmas...odd.

Political Correctness is destroying life as we know it haha.

I love Christmas (and the meaning behind it)...I also like dodgeball in school, toys in my Happy Meals, and punk kids getting paddlings when deserved...haha.

If your personal beliefs don't allow you to celebrate Christmas and you don't want to say it, then don't say it. Just let the people that want to say it, say it. Why is it always such a big deal?

Return to “Off Topic”