Teacher Gift Idea

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:08 am

We always made something for my daughter's teachers & included a gift card to someplace. Actually had a teacher tell me the best gift she got was the gel candles we made. We make them for several family members each year.

allisoncrews
Black Friday Pro

Postby allisoncrews » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:47 pm

When I taught K4 at a privat christian school, all the parents went in together and got me a $125 dollar gift certificate to a day spa for nails, pedicure, massage, etc. It was wonderful!

Aporter717
Black Friday Pro

As a teacher...

Postby Aporter717 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:03 pm

As a teacher myself, I always appreciated the Christmas ornaments that the students would give me. It was also nice to get gift cards as well. Every time I got an ornament from a student, I wrote their name on the ornament and the school year. They hang on my personal Christmas tree at home EVERY year!

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:11 pm

I am not a teacher, but if anyone wants to send me fudge or cookies, please do!

Rendi2
Black Friday Pro

Postby Rendi2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:46 pm

As dorky as it may seem - I like when my students make me ornaments, too. I have quite a few on my tree from my ten years of teaching. And that's what my kids make for their teachers, too...they make a different craft ornament each year.

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:52 pm

XmasDVD wrote:I am not a teacher, but if anyone wants to send me fudge or cookies, please do!

Please do not cross post in the weight loss thread! :lol:

Kimmer
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kimmer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:44 am

I always buy the teachers gift cards -- but to save money, I always buy them off the radio stations sites where they have half off gift cards. Maybe you have a site in your area where you can get these. I buy for 8 or more teachers so this really helps!!! :D

SuperMomof3
Black Friday Pro

Postby SuperMomof3 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 am

My youngest child's teacher is doing a giving tree in her room this year (I guess all K-5 teacher are). The tree will have ideas that she would like for Christmas. It is to be mainly things for the room. It is a neat idea, but something about it doesn't sit right. What do you think of it? Am I being silly?

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 am

SuperMomof3 wrote:My youngest child's teacher is doing a giving tree in her room this year (I guess all K-5 teacher are). The tree will have ideas that she would like for Christmas. It is to be mainly things for the room. It is a neat idea, but something about it doesn't sit right. What do you think of it? Am I being silly?

Is this a "wealthy" school? If so, and it's all items for the classroom, it really wouldn't bother me that much. In my son's school though, it would really upset me. His elementary school is 97% free lunch, and the poorest in the county. (Yet the highest rated academically. These teachers are saints..) Many kids don't have proper shoes or winter coats, much less Christmas presents. I would be highly upset if they were made to feel "bad" about not being able to get the teacher something.

ptldrabbit
Black Friday Pro

Postby ptldrabbit » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:14 am

SuperMomof3 wrote:My youngest child's teacher is doing a giving tree in her room this year (I guess all K-5 teacher are). The tree will have ideas that she would like for Christmas. It is to be mainly things for the room. It is a neat idea, but something about it doesn't sit right. What do you think of it? Am I being silly?

I guess it would depend too on what the ideas turn out to be. If they are mostly inexpensive items for the room so everyone could participate at their own comfort level, that wouldn't be too bad.
Life is uncertain . . . . . eat dessert first and then go shopping!

dvracing
Black Friday Pro

Postby dvracing » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:52 am

I hit the clearance sections of Office Max, Staples, Office Depot, Target, etc. for school supplies- right now is a great time to get dry erase markers, pens, glue sticks, folders, post-it-notes etc. They are Marked down about 75% at my Office Max and Staples. These make GREAT gifts for teachers. I put and assortment of these classroom supplies in a plastic container from Big Lots or Dollar Tree- along with a Christmas Cookie Candle from Kohl's- on sale for $4.00- but with my Kohl's cash- free- and give baskets to each of my son's Jr. High Teachers. Each gift costs me about $6.00- including the $1.00 container. :)

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Postby kenziekinz09 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:58 am

As a student teacher, I would say some things for the room would be nice. The gift card idea is good too. But even something simple like a letter/drawing/homemade craft from a student would be nice. It's really the thought that counts-no one goes into teaching for the money or the gifts. lol
Tek for weird uncle! TEAM SISTER WIVES 8)
My Disney Blog- http://www.kenziewdwcp.blogspot.com/

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:07 pm

My kids decorate something for their teachers. One year we made home made houses and filled them with some candies. I can't find a picture of the houses, thought I had one online somewhere... anyway, it was with the slanted roof and the top came off and the goodies were inside. The kids decorated the outside specifically for the teachers and they put them on their desk and kept mints, etc. in them :) Another year they decorated paper bags, went to the dollar tree store and gave them each some an amount to spend, they got some cute coffee mugs, Christmas candies, and a cute Christmas ornament for their teachers to put on their tree.
I think if you can come up with something your son can make the teacher will really appreciate it, it's more 'personal.' Then just add something to it, even if it's a gift card. If the teacher is married and has kids, maybe a nice picture frame for his desk for a picture of his family?
My oldest daughter is in middle school this year. We'll probably make homemade Christmas cards for each of the teachers with a Christmas picture of my daughter, and then we may buy some candies to go with the cards...or she can pick out a couple of favorite teachers to get something for.
My son is in his last year of elementary school this year...I'm heartbroken, I can't believe how fast they are growing! My youngest starts kindergarden next year!

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:28 pm

As a teacher myself, I totally see where you are coming from. I've had parents ask me what I would like and I could NEVER suggest anything. I dont even accept offers to buy things for the classroom. I understand that some parents may be buying things anyway, so I could SEE the idea, but still, I don't know, it would bother me too....

pandagirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby pandagirl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Our PTO has us do this. They have us fill out snowmen and we have them out at conference time for them to take.

Return to “Off Topic”