Teacher Gift Idea

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Teacher Gift Idea

Postby nikkigirl01 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:48 am

My oldest is in first grade. His teacher is AWESOME. I want to get her something for the holidays, that she will use/appreciate. It can't be anything scented as she has severe allergies, and I don't generally "do" food gifts. She is very young too. It's only her second year teaching.

Any ideas for an appropriate gift? I didn't have to deal with this last year because all I wanted to give his kindergarten teacher was a swift kick in the A$$. LOL

Thanks in advance...

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Honestly a 5-10$ gift card to a movie, or restaurant would probably be greatly appreciated.
I have friends who teach that say like the bath stuff and apple stuff is waaaay overdone.
Or like off the $ rack at Target get one of those popcorn buckets, then include a cheapy DVD of some kind...romantic comedies usually go over well with that age group of girls, and include a pack of micro popcorn and a pack or two of hot chocolate

On the tag something about relaxing with a good show.
Steff

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:22 pm

I had preschool teacher and assistant last year and got them gift cards. This year I would like to do something extra special since my son has made leaps and bounds of progress in the class that he is in. Three assistants and a teacher to buy for. I will probably still do the gift card but maybe add something to it like a basket with something. That reminds me to add them to the "list"!

pandagirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby pandagirl » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:26 pm

As a kindergarten teacher, I appreciate things for the classroom or gift cards for school or personal use. I love it when parents buy extra crayons or markers for us to use. Or glue sticks. You can never have enough glue sticks.

cddd
Black Friday Pro

Postby cddd » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Stuff for her classroom is great.....books, games, puzzles. Look around her room and see if she has a theme going or something, then buy something along the lines of her theme.

ptldrabbit
Black Friday Pro

Postby ptldrabbit » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Add to all these wonderful ideas on gift cards and school supplies, a personal note telling them how much you appreciate them and what they do each and every day. Believe me, those will be read over and over . . . especially after one of those kind of days :)
Life is uncertain . . . . . eat dessert first and then go shopping!

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:50 pm

gift cards are great!!

My grandma was a teacher and you wouldn't believe all the costume jewelry, perfume, candles, etc that she collected over the years. Somehow it came about that she collected owls....not sure how that started & not really sure she liked owls but boy when she retired she had boxes of them!!!

carolinagal
Black Friday Pro

Postby carolinagal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:59 pm

I usually do gift cards from MICHAELS.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:19 pm

This year, we got our sons 2nd grade teacher a $50 gift card to a local gourmet cupcake shop (they're awesome!), and a Christmas ornament that says "#1 teacher" on it. We also keep her prize box stocked up through the year with various toys and stuff for the kids.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

aandasmom
Black Friday Pro

Postby aandasmom » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:22 pm

I get a game for the classroom each year. We have lots of indoor recess through the winter, so new games are always a big hit. I've done books, crayons, stickers and other school supplies I know they go through lots of. I asked a couple of the teachers I know well what they would prefer and it's always been stuff they could use in their classrooms.

srmarshall32
Black Friday Pro

Postby srmarshall32 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:48 pm

My son made a pencil holder for his 1st grade teacher to put on her desk a couple years ago. She is still using it, and it was super cheap to do. So maybe something personal that he could make for her. Pencil holder, picture frame, christmas ornament? Something like that :-)

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:38 pm

First - don't waste money on baskets - give your gift in a rubbermaid box (and include the lid - you can package gift open - just stand the lid up on edge or put it on the bottom.) Teachers always need more storage (that closes.)

Craft supplies are great - glue sticks, googly eyes, pom-poms etc. Some cute thank you notes are great too (most teacher write a ton of thankyous!)

Avoid clutter - teachers really don't want another coffee mug (especially those like me that don't even drink hot beverages...I give them straight to my husband.) Home made food items (and also homemade dry goods jars to make cookies or whatnot) generally go in the trash if we don't know you well (we don't know how clean you are.)

Gift cards are always nice. For food, I usually give Subway to my children' teachers because they suit a wide variety of eating habit and make a nice "quick" meal. Otherwise Target and Walmart are great.

A gift certificate to Oriental trading can also be great - lots of party/craft supplies that teachers love are carried by them.

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:53 pm

As a teacher ( and bargain hunter), I truly appreciate the thought and sentiment over value. I would much rather have a handwritten note than any type of fragrance that will eventually run out. NOT that I wouldn't appreciate it. have you seen the "teaching tree" within the dollar tree? It's awesome!! You can stock up there or just go with a gift card. Basic Teaching supplies (crayons and glue) are a nice thought, but I would feel bad if a parent thought they had to get them for me for Christmas....

Make it thoughtful, special. See if your son can get some info out of her...(favorite eatery or other local place...). Does she have animals? My kids know I LOVE my dogs and it means a lot to me when they give me something "for them."

Amazon would be a great gift idea too - she can get something for her, or the classroom.

Lol about the kindergarten teacher. :)

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:07 pm

I taught first grade and my favorite gifts were hand written cards and letters from the kids. I will always treasure them. I liked the gift cards to B&N and Michaels or JoAnns as well.

An Amazon GF is always nice because it's so versatile.

hollyhobbie
Black Friday Amateur

Postby hollyhobbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:56 am

I teach pre-k and this is my second year teaching also.

I love all kinds of gift cards. Personal and for my class. As a new teacher my classroom is still in need of things such as books, movies, puzzles, games. Honestly I would rather have five used movies than one new one.

Food gift cards to places right by school is good since it is hard to get away for lunch.

I totally agree with putting the gift in totes. I am always buying them in all sizes. Craft items are always needed; pipe cleaners, eyes, paint (washable) paint brushes, play dough, coffee filters, paper plates.

I also LOVE school shirts (with bling). Last year a mom made me a cute bling shirt with the school name on it and I wear it a lot.

No apple items or tote bags.

Return to “Off Topic”