Need a new cell phone anyone want to recommend me any?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:24 am

jnk519 wrote:I bought the new Blackberry Torch about 2 months ago. So far it's been great.

Now in the store I did not see a Torch but I like the look of it on the Best Buy ad. I may have to go hunt this down and look at it.
Last edited by mechimpaired on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jnk519
Black Friday Amateur

Postby jnk519 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 am

mechimpaired wrote:
jnk519 wrote:I bought the new Blackberry Torch about 2 months ago. So far it's been great.

Now the store I did not see a Torch but I look the look of it on the Best Buy ad. I may have to go hunt this down and look at it.

The best part for me is that it has a full slide out keyboard as well as a full touch screen. It's much easier to type on the slide out keyboard.

kukumjacka
Black Friday Pro

Postby kukumjacka » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:50 am

I have a Windows Mobile. Not the WP7 thing... and frankly the more I use it the more I am amazed at how versatile it is and how much Microsoft missed out on by not developing it properly.

Among the things, Blackberry Connect to get me to my work's email, wifi tethering, multitasking, lots of free and useful apps and I can even boot Android on the sucker. Sure i'm missing out on all the fart apps and the funky "Shake the phone to do something ubercool" apps but then again, I can fart myself, app free and if I shake myself I always end up doing something ubercool.

shanyo76
Black Friday Pro

Postby shanyo76 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:51 am

I have a Blackberry Curve and I HATE it. I drop calls daily, I have to reload my facebook and email apps at least once a month and I've lost count of how many times I have to take the battery out and back in to unfreeze it. UGH.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:53 am

kukumjacka wrote:I have a Windows Mobile. Not the WP7 thing... and frankly the more I use it the more I am amazed at how versatile it is and how much Microsoft missed out on by not developing it properly.

Among the things, Blackberry Connect to get me to my work's email, wifi tethering, multitasking, lots of free and useful apps and I can even boot Android on the sucker. Sure i'm missing out on all the fart apps and the funky "Shake the phone to do something ubercool" apps but then again, I can fart myself, app free and if I shake myself I always end up doing something ubercool.

Ok that is hella funny.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 am

shanyo76 wrote:I have a Blackberry Curve and I HATE it. I drop calls daily, I have to reload my facebook and email apps at least once a month and I've lost count of how many times I have to take the battery out and back in to unfreeze it. UGH.

That sounds isolated ton your phone and carrier.

As far as battery pulls, you don't need to do a batter pull to reset it. Alt + upbutton (^aA) + del will reset your phone. Same as ctrl+alt+del on your desktop.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Samsung Reality here....not a smartphone, but decent and it has great call reception and quality, which is what I want a PHONE for -- making phone calls. :)

My sister has a Droid and it's a nice gadget too.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:08 pm

I had mine since 2006 until it died. I did not have a problem with it all until it just went all wonky the other morning. But I still have not decided and it is killing me using my husband's spare cell phone. I plan on getting one this weekend.

shanyo76
Black Friday Pro

Postby shanyo76 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:15 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
shanyo76 wrote:I have a Blackberry Curve and I HATE it. I drop calls daily, I have to reload my facebook and email apps at least once a month and I've lost count of how many times I have to take the battery out and back in to unfreeze it. UGH.

As far as battery pulls, you don't need to do a batter pull to reset it. Alt + upbutton (^aA) + del will reset your phone. Same as ctrl+alt+del on your desktop.

Good to know. I think I just have a dud or something. My husband never has any problems with his phone (BB Bold). I've been meaning to take it in but just never seem to have the time!

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:25 pm

shanyo76 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:

Good to know. I think I just have a dud or something. My husband never has any problems with his phone (BB Bold). I've been meaning to take it in but just never seem to have the time!

I think in an earlier thread I said I have a Curve. I actually have a Bold! I had a Curve for YEARS and loved it, and just recently got the Bold, which I love just as equally.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

nmoline
Black Friday Pro

Postby nmoline » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:43 pm

I assume you are on Verizon?

If so go for the Droid Pro, it has a keyboard identical to your blackberry but it gets you on the much better Android Operating System. Here is a link so you can learn about it: http://www.droiddoes.com/droidpro/overview/

kukumjacka
Black Friday Pro

Postby kukumjacka » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Remember those dumb terminals they had in libraries and such to browse through the contents and find your book? Well, the Blackberry is the pocket version of it.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Droid still can't sync with Outlook and isn't as secure as a Blackberry. :wink:

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

kukumjacka
Black Friday Pro

Postby kukumjacka » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:07 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Droid still can't sync with Outlook and isn't as secure as a Blackberry. :wink:

Are you talking from Exchange or your own personal Outlook? Cause from Exchange it does. Personal Outlook I haven't tried but I'm sure it's possible somehow.

And while BB is secure, it's been caving lately. The Saudis, the Emirates, India... the list will only grow. And while you may not have any interest in going there, the US isn't far to making that list as well. Patriot Act baby... Want police state? Sure, we'll give you one and we'll model it right after the best there ever was, USSR, WW2 Germany, China, and Chile.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:04 pm

kukumjacka wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:Droid still can't sync with Outlook and isn't as secure as a Blackberry. :wink:

Are you talking from Exchange or your own personal Outlook? Cause from Exchange it does. Personal Outlook I haven't tried but I'm sure it's possible somehow.

And while BB is secure, it's been caving lately. The Saudis, the Emirates, India... the list will only grow. And while you may not have any interest in going there, the US isn't far to making that list as well. Patriot Act baby... Want police state? Sure, we'll give you one and we'll model it right after the best there ever was, USSR, WW2 Germany, China, and Chile.

I use it for personal Outlook. It syncs all of my contacts with Outlook as well as obtains the numbers from Facebook (the Droid may do that), my calendar, mailbox, etc. I've just always had a Blackberry and am very partial to it. I tried the Droid for 2 weeks and it was just okay for me. It didn't seem nowhere near as powerful as the Blackberry.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Return to “Off Topic”