Need a new cell phone anyone want to recommend me any?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Need a new cell phone anyone want to recommend me any?

Postby mechimpaired » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:05 pm

I had a Blackberry that ate it this morning but I am leaning towards a droid or iPhone. My office assistant has severe issues with her iPhone 4 so that kind of scares me off from the newest one. Oh yeh I do not know what the difference between a droid and iphone is....i am guessing the operating system but anything else different? My main requirement is reliable and decent battery life on whatever new phone. Anyone that is somewhat knowledge give me some input....husband is in a mega meeting today so I cannot bother him til later with this.

pandagirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby pandagirl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:21 pm

I have an original Motorola Droid & I love it! It has to be charged every night, though, or the battery will wear out. On days when I'm off & playing around on it a lot, I might need to plug it in for a few minutes so it can catch up! Maybe the newer ones have better battery life.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Blackberry, 'nuff said ;)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jnk519
Black Friday Amateur

Postby jnk519 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:43 pm

I bought the new Blackberry Torch about 2 months ago. So far it's been great.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:01 pm

i have a droid x and i love it!
i came off the blackberry storm.

it's kinda huge but its really nice if you're wanting to go on the internet or watch videos and stuff.

stepheng
Black Friday Pro

Postby stepheng » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 pm

iPhone all the way!
"Do right." -Erk Russell

hays4cat
Black Friday Pro

Postby hays4cat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:40 pm

I totally love my Blackberry!!!!!!!!
WARNING!!!!! I am trained in the art of combat shopping!

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:46 pm

what ever you do, this is not the best time to be signing a new contract.
I would get a cheap phone without renewing the contract.

Right now the phone companies are starting to roll out LTE service. I know Verizon and MeroPCS already are rolling it out. MetroPCS plans to have all areas up and running with LTE in the next month or two. LTE data service will be super fast with speeds around 8Mbps (faster then some people have for home internet). The thing is that to get the new speeds you need a new LTE phone. Right now there are only a hand full of LTE phones (maybe 2). HTC is working on making an LTE android phone right now but has not given any specifics like what phone company would get the new LTE android phone.

So for now I would just wait it out for a few months rather then get stuck in a contract, thats what i'm doing.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:27 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:what ever you do, this is not the best time to be signing a new contract.

Right now the phone companies are starting to roll out LTE service. I know Verizon and MeroPCS already are rolling it out. MetroPCS plans to have all areas up and running with LTE in the next month or two. LTE data service will be super fast with speeds around 8Mbps (faster then some people have for home internet). The thing is that to get the new speeds you need a new LTE phone. Right now there are only a hand full of LTE phones (maybe 2). HTC is working on making an LTE android phone right now but has not given any specifics like what phone company would get the new LTE android phone.

So for now I would just wait it out for a few months rather then get stuck in a contract, thats what i'm doing.

Is this sort of like 3G service? Because if so where I live doesn't even have 3G and won't til end of the month...supposedly.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:42 pm

I totally LOVE my Palm Pre Plus!!! its by far the best phone I have ever had.\
Steff

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:43 pm

mechimpaired wrote:
MikesTooLz wrote:what ever you do, this is not the best time to be signing a new contract.

Is this sort of like 3G service? Because if so where I live doesn't even have 3G and won't til end of the month...supposedly.

better then 3G, technically its not really 4G but the companies are all marketing it as 4G.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:22 pm

The Blackberry Storm sucked for me, but the Curve is ace. I envy if you have the Torch, I would love a Torch but AT&T sucks around most parts of the east coast. The iPhone sucks around everywhere north of the equator. Reasons not to buy an iPhone: 1. Flash. 2. It's made by Apple 3. Flash 4. Apple has to say what you can install on it 5. Flash 6. You can get the exact same stuff on a Blackberry as you can an iPhone 7. Flash
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:39 pm

We went tonight and looked but I could not decide...leaning towards another blackberry cause I had my last one forevvver. But I do like this droid phone at least the appearance and feel I did. Still looking.

ncbn0902
Black Friday Pro

Postby ncbn0902 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:44 pm

I have a droid x from a storm and I love my phone. Wife and daughter are getting the droid 2 next week.

caroleena
Black Friday Pro

Postby caroleena » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:30 pm

i have been waiting. i wanted a droid but the verizon guy swears the intensity is better. i'm still looking.....

Return to “Off Topic”