Can you top the night I/we've had?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Can you top the night I/we've had?

Postby azerigold » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:03 pm

OMG this has been a CRAZY evening!
I drove my SUV earlier today, it was fine. I go to get my oldest daughter from an afterschool program, and it didn't start like it should, sort of hesitated - like you didn't turn the key far enough - I dunno how else to explain it. But it did start, and I started to back up and it hesitated, and died. I put it in park, and it hesitated in starting, but did start. The clock set back to 1pm <it was almost 5:30>. Okay...
I get there, the truck felt a bit sluggish, but overall it ran fine.
I go in get my daughter, come back out, put the key in the ignition. Turn the key, it didn't try to start, the dash lights came on and then that was it, everything was dead, no dome lights nothing.
I try to turn the key back so I can take it out, and it wouldn't turn all the way back, and I couldn't get the key out!
One of the guys in the after school program even tried to get the key out.
I call my husband, and he came up, and the key came right out! But it wouldn't start.
We're sure it's the battery, otherwise the lights would at least come on. So we come back here, and my husband's brother is going to help him jump it with his truck so we can at least bring it home.
My husband starts his brothers truck for him to let it warm up....shuts the doors, and comes in.
They ready to leave, and the next thing I hear?

The doors are locked. Keys inside. Truck is running.

WTH???
So instead of going to get our truck <BTW it's fine where it's at for tonight>, they spend the entire hour trying to break into his brother's truck without causing any damage...! FINALLY when it's time for both of them to go to work, they get the door open...talk about NICK OF TIME! WHEW! I even had someone on call from pop a lock - we live about 20 mins out of town so at least I was able to cancel, so that's $75 we get to keep.

But what is up with the vehicle issues? It's just CRAZY!!! And BTW, the reason the truck was locked is, it's one of those vehicles when you start the engine, the doors automatically lock - our vehicles don't do that, so he had no idea.

So anyway...that's my night. If it gets any better I might SCREAM...

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Just imagine if the truck was in drive with the engine on and the keys locked inside? :twisted: :lol:
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:12 pm

g-man430 wrote:Just imagine if the truck was in drive with the engine on and the keys locked inside? :twisted: :lol:

LOL!!!

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:47 pm

sounds like the alternator.
Glad you are all ok.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:19 am

XmasDVD wrote:sounds like the alternator.
Glad you are all ok.

I know :( We're hoping it's just the battery though. His brother's truck did the same thing about a month ago - battery, so we can be hopefull, but whatever is wrong we'll get it fixed. I just hope it's fixed before Friday morning! :!:

elle_fleur
Black Friday Pro

Postby elle_fleur » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:26 am

My saturn in '96 had those same issues. The key not coming out and issues with not being able to start it. It turned out to be the alternator and it wasn't cheap to fix. I was only a teenager at the time so it wasn't fun to pay for that

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:28 am

actually if you are handy, you can buy it and replace yourself.
It's prob a $300 job at the shop.

elle_fleur
Black Friday Pro

Postby elle_fleur » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:36 am

plus the dumb diagnostic fee that they charged $75 for

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:47 am

OK so I posted, and deleted it because things have changed...LOL

The boys went to get it this morning, jumped it, brought it home, It ran for about 30 minutes here, I turned it off, tried to start it right back up, nothing, completely dead, no dome lights, no nothing.
I called the mechanic 'just in case' and he said it sounds like the battery more than the altenator, so when my husband gets up I'll have him take it off and I'll have it tested, if it's not it, then I'll get it in the shop tomorrow. With parts and labor <1 1/2hrs> and tax they said $282.

I am umm...hoping for the best, but am prepared to deal with the worst!

robb01
Black Friday Pro

Postby robb01 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:25 am

elle_fleur wrote:plus the dumb diagnostic fee that they charged $75 for

geez, thats a ripoff
On the Hunt for Great Deals!

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:29 am

Our SUV (Toyota 4Runner) won't let you lock the door if the keys are in it, and it's running.

The next time you lock your keys in the car, you can call the sheriffs office and in most localities, they will come unlock your vehicle for you, for free. ;)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:36 am

Sorry you had the night from hell. Sometimes it just pays to go home and crawl in bed until the gremlins go away, you know? :twisted:

How old is your battery? Did you try removing the terminal connections and CLEANING them? That's always the first place to start. It does sound as if your alternator is not charging the battery or your have a dead cell in it and it's time for a new one.

An alternator is EASY to remove and install...I did mine in 2 different vehicles. If your vehicle is over 5 years old, I'd highly recommend getting a rebuilt one or even going to a salvage yard and getting one. They are too freakin' expensive new. I paid $50 for my 90amp SUV alternator at a salvage place -- what 4 years ago, and it's still going strong.

Of course -- mechanical work is not for everyone...that's why mechanics charge so much! But it will save you a ton of money if you learn a few things yourself. I do brakes, rotors, hoses, filters, oxygen sensors, etc. but leave all the major stuff to the professionals. Of course it helps that I had a professional teacher (brother) growing up, but the guys at the parts store always look at me with respect when I come in -- "Here comes Vic's sister!"

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:09 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Our SUV (Toyota 4Runner) won't let you lock the door if the keys are in it, and it's running.

The next time you lock your keys in the car, you can call the sheriffs office and in most localities, they will come unlock your vehicle for you, for free. ;)

I was wondering if they do that or not, I know when I was a kid where I grew up they would. We did call pop a lock, and like 5 minutes after I called them, they got it unlocked, so I was able to call cancel LOL

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 pm

redkel wrote:Sorry you had the night from hell. Sometimes it just pays to go home and crawl in bed until the gremlins go away, you know? :twisted:

How old is your battery? Did you try removing the terminal connections and CLEANING them? That's always the first place to start. It does sound as if your alternator is not charging the battery or your have a dead cell in it and it's time for a new one.

An alternator is EASY to remove and install...I did mine in 2 different vehicles. If your vehicle is over 5 years old, I'd highly recommend getting a rebuilt one or even going to a salvage yard and getting one. They are too freakin' expensive new. I paid $50 for my 90amp SUV alternator at a salvage place -- what 4 years ago, and it's still going strong.

Of course -- mechanical work is not for everyone...that's why mechanics charge so much! But it will save you a ton of money if you learn a few things yourself. I do brakes, rotors, hoses, filters, oxygen sensors, etc. but leave all the major stuff to the professionals. Of course it helps that I had a professional teacher (brother) growing up, but the guys at the parts store always look at me with respect when I come in -- "Here comes Vic's sister!"

Thank You so much for your post, I appreciate it! Our SUV is an Olds Bravada, we have had it 2 years, so not sure how old the battery is.
I think you could be right about a dead cell in the battery. At least I am still hopeful! I just went out to try and get the key out, when I opened the door, the bell sounded letting me know the key was in the ignition, the battery light was on on the dash, but again when I turned the key everything went dead, and the key locked AGAIN LOL
As soon as my husband gets up I am going to have him take the battery off, so I can take it up to the auto store and have it tested. If it's bad, I'll get a new one. If not, then I the mechanic said I could call him at 7:30am and he'd get it in for me tomorrow morning.
I know my husband could try his hand at changing it, but I can't wait until the weekend to have it running. He works 12 hour shifts, so he sleeps all day long and doesn't have enough time to mess with it until Saturday.

My husband does try to do a lot on his own, he gives our vehicles tune ups, he changed the brakes in a car we recently sold, changed the spark plugs in all the vehicles, regular oil changes, etc.

Ran_Eric09
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ran_Eric09 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 pm

My husband is a mechanic so he does everything on his own, which usually takes awhile since it's just him. We have an old '89 Dodge Ram (hubby LOVES it). It didn't pass inspection and he spent ALL weekend fixing it up so it would. Yesterday on the way home from the inspection (it passed :D ) it blew a hose an anitfreeze spilled everywhere. He did get that fixed during the day. Then last night hubby made a run to a gas station to get some chocolate :D and the starter went out in the parking lot of the gas station. He did get it changed though. I know how you feel!

Return to “Off Topic”