What would you do? Camera help

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:32 am

bfaddict wrote:buying from ebay or craigslist for something so expensive makes me REALLY nervous!
my parents are buying it for me for xmas so I want to be able to find them the best deal but I know my dad won't go for buying it on ebay, he got screwed over big time with buying some electronic stuff on there. and my dad is HUGE HUGE HUGE into buying extended service warranties with the store. i think it just makes him feel better about the purchase, plus we have used them quite a bit in the past so they do end up being handy.

Now after saying that I think I will check out ebay and keep an eye out for the sellers with 80k+ in sales. most likely they probably have their own business and website to make them a little more legit.

I don't blame your dad if he has had bad dealings. The extended warranties are nice.
There are some warranties out there that I believe include being able to send your camera in like once a year to have it professionally cleaned. I am not sure if Best Buy offers that or just camera stores <it comes through Canon I would think Nikon has the same>. Anyway, it might be good to ask, as getting your camera cleaned can be a bit costly.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:24 am

thanks for the suggestions :)

any suggestions on must-have lenses for nikons? unless they specifically say what they're used for (like telephoto, wideshot, etc..), all the numbers just confuse me.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:48 pm

bfaddict wrote:thanks for the suggestions :)

any suggestions on must-have lenses for nikons? unless they specifically say what they're used for (like telephoto, wideshot, etc..), all the numbers just confuse me.

I use Canon, so I am not sure about Nikon. However, it also depends on what you'll be using it for mostly, how far away or how close you want to take pictures of. If you want an all around lens, look for something that starts around 24mm and ends around 150-200mm, that gets you a bit close, but and a little further out. When I had my Olympus camera, my main lens was 40-150mm and I loved it.

A lenses value lies in how much glass is in it <the more, the better>, and the Fstop. F-stop is your aperture, and the lower the number, the better it will work in low lighting situations - thus also more expensive. I think the standard Fstop on kit lenses is 3.5-4.5. IF your just looking for a nice camera to play around with, then these lenses will work just fine.
Another thing, Nikon has the Vibration Reduction lenses, I HIGHLY recommend them! Canon has them <Image Stabilizer>, and without it I wouldn't be able to get half the shots I am able to get! It helps with camera shake so your pictures aren't blurry.

I also highly recommend learning to shoot in manual mode. Since I went manual I have never looked back at preset setting <auto, sports, night, etc.

BTW, There is a camera store in New York called Cameta Cameras. They have an ebay store, and an online store, here is their website:
http://www.cameta.com/

I've had great dealings with them <I bought my Olympus from them>, My friend who uses Nikon has bought several items from them, and she got great discounts. I also will recommend refurbished with full warranty and they also offer extended warranties on their cameras, as well as camera advice. I would seriously check them out, you could save a lot of $$ going through a Camera store like that, they were VERY FAST, answered every question I had, gave me so many extras, and I had my camera the VERY NEXT DAY!

Good Luck and I hope you get what your wanting, and get a great deal on it too! :)

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:50 pm

azerigold wrote:
I also highly recommend learning to shoot in manual mode. Since I went manual I have never looked back at preset setting <auto, sports, night, etc.

I agree, once you learn what you're doing, manual is the ONLY way to go. IF you want great pictures, that is. Also, how to focus on one object without it being the center of the picture. :)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:59 pm

thank you so much! that was very helpful!

currently I have a tiny canon (can't remember what model digital elph SD something) but it's about 4 years old. retailed for about $300 when it first came out so it was a good camera in it's day. I think i've about focused the poor camera to death as the button sometimes doesn't work. I noticed that I want to use the extreme zoom A LOT which is why i want a telephoto lens. I'm really more of a 'stand back and shoot' kind of person instead of getting up close and personal.

I don't do it professionally but I take a lot of photos on trips and of my family members when we get together.

and i will definitely check out that website! thank you!!

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Also don't forget to check out the camera I posted a link to also, if you want a good zoom in a small camera! :)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:04 pm

wow yea that would be a nice little point and shot camera, great reviews too!
I love my point and shoot because it's so small but i'm looking for something a little more fun :)

I have an old 35mm canon that you can use different lenses on. I should bust that thing out and shoot some old school stuff lol Got that back when I was in high school

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Well, I'm a huge e-bay fan...seeing as how I've purchased and sold so much there...but if you want to deal with a reputable company (that also sells on e-bay) -- then you need to check out Cameta Camera. They are a great outfit and really have gone the extra mile for me on more than one occasion. I've been buying from them for about 6 years now.

http://www.cametacamera.com

http://shop.ebay.com/cametaauctions/m.h ... =12&_rdc=1

Waiting to hear from Scott on his recommendations. He shoots similar type stuff (travel mags, civil war stuff, etc.) where there is a lot of movement and you have to burst shoot a lot.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:07 pm

redkel wrote:Well, I'm a huge e-bay fan...seeing as how I've purchased and sold so much there...but if you want to deal with a reputable company (that also sells on e-bay) -- then you need to check out Cameta Camera. They are a great outfit and really have gone the extra mile for me on more than one occasion. I've been buying from them for about 6 years now.

http://www.cametacamera.com

http://shop.ebay.com/cametaauctions/m.h ... =12&_rdc=1

Waiting to hear from Scott on his recommendations. He shoots similar type stuff (travel mags, civil war stuff, etc.) where there is a lot of movement and you have to burst shoot a lot.

I recommended Cameta a few posts above yours LOL!! Well at least I know someone else on here that has had a great buy with them! I try to buy from them when possible. Unfortunately they no longer sold the Canon 40D, so I didn't buy mine from them and I just didnt' have the extra funds for the 50D because I was buying the 70-200mm at the same time as the camera body.

A lot of pros I know at the racetrack swear by B&H or another I can't honestly remember which one, but I find their prices aren't very competitive - much like our local camera store. I would much rather deal with Cameta, and WISH they had a store like that nearby!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:54 pm

I had to come back and update!

like i figured my dad wanted to purchase from sears or best buy (something about no payments for a certain time period when using the store card) so i said, "ok, i want the d3000 package deal!" so that's what i'm getting. :)

i went to the cameta site and WOW so many awesome deals!!! I will definitely be checking them out for accessories.

this is the package deal i'm getting http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/999912 ... 1800050000
on BF it will be $599 for the whole thing and my brother is a premier rewards member so he's going to buy it tonight for my dad (since they have that special for their premier rewards today)
but now i'm in pain knowing that I have to wait more than a month to have it!!!

but thank you everyone! and especially the OP since I totally hijacked the thread :)

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:10 pm

bfaddict wrote:I had to come back and update!

like i figured my dad wanted to purchase from sears or best buy (something about no payments for a certain time period when using the store card) so i said, "ok, i want the d3000 package deal!" so that's what i'm getting. :)

i went to the cameta site and WOW so many awesome deals!!! I will definitely be checking them out for accessories.

this is the package deal i'm getting http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/999912 ... 1800050000
on BF it will be $599 for the whole thing and my brother is a premier rewards member so he's going to buy it tonight for my dad (since they have that special for their premier rewards today)
but now i'm in pain knowing that I have to wait more than a month to have it!!!

but thank you everyone! and especially the OP since I totally hijacked the thread :)

Congrats!!! Looks like a really nice set up! I honestly don't know much about Nikon as I've said before, but my friend has I believe the D300 or D700, and this one isn't that much down the line from hers, and hers takes awesome pics, so I can imagine this one is very similar.

As for the waiting part. I would go insane waiting for something like that! Just breathe...and know it will be in your hands in a month and 2 days! LOL I know...a month and two days, but it could be sooo much longer!

Return to “Off Topic”