What would you do? Camera help

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

azerigold
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

What would you do? Camera help

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 am

I am in a dilemma and I don't know what I should do - hubby is no help at all in this one.

I do some photography work <horses>, and my main setup includes a Canon 40D, which I LOVE. I recently traded my old DSLR in <Olympus with extras>, and got what I could with it - Canon XS. WHile the XS is a very nice, sharp camera, I really need a backup that is much more like the 40D. I need one that has a larger buffer, so I can take up to 50 pics before it slows down to catch up, where as the XS has an okay buffer, but not as fast as I need it to be. I mostly need this option for horseracing - put my finger down and click-click-click without worry.

So with that said, I have been trying to decide on whether I should just sell the Canon XS I bought now, and then after the holidays buy another 40D, or possibly a 50D?

I've had the XS for about 6 weeks, I've carried it around with me a lot, but probably used it only 3 or 4 times - but the store has a 30 day return policy. I haven't filled out the registration cards, I have the receipt, it has a lens, and a year manufacturers warranty. Why keep it if it's not what I need? And if I am not going to use it?

So what would you do?

I think with the camera and 2GB card, I paid around $600, so if I sold it, I'd knock some of the price off since I have used it a few times, but I just don't know what I should do. I am VERY LEARY about not having a backup camera, but January is right around the corner...

Thanks for any advice, with everything going on, I just don't know what in the world I should do.

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10882
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:38 am

I have a Nikon D40 DSLR and I use a Fujifilm Finepix as my backup. It's a great camera, and takes excellent photos. I am also getting a smaller pns Panasonic Lumix for Christmas, this seems to be a great camera as well, but I have not tried it. I just read reviews on it. Check it out..

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3 ... 720&sr=8-2
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

azerigold
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am

teknoge3k wrote:I have a Nikon D40 DSLR and I use a Fujifilm Finepix as my backup. It's a great camera, and takes excellent photos. I am also getting a smaller pns Panasonic Lumix for Christmas, this seems to be a great camera as well, but I have not tried it. I just read reviews on it. Check it out..

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3 ... 720&sr=8-2


Thanks so much I will check it out! Nikon is very nice, My friend whom I do a lot of work with uses I believe the D300, or whichever is the newest in that line.
My 'baby' is my 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens, man oh man I LOVE that lens, but admit I wish I had gotten the 70-300mm.

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10882
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:58 am

azerigold wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:I have a Nikon D40 DSLR and I use a Fujifilm Finepix as my backup. It's a great camera, and takes excellent photos. I am also getting a smaller pns Panasonic Lumix for Christmas, this seems to be a great camera as well, but I have not tried it. I just read reviews on it. Check it out..

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3 ... 720&sr=8-2


Thanks so much I will check it out! Nikon is very nice, My friend whom I do a lot of work with uses I believe the D300, or whichever is the newest in that line.
My 'baby' is my 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens, man oh man I LOVE that lens, but admit I wish I had gotten the 70-300mm.


http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... erter.html

That's what you need for your camera, double the zoom power. I love my 55-200mm myself. Get the 2x adapter! You won't regret it.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

azerigold
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:00 am

teknoge3k wrote:
azerigold wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:I have a Nikon D40 DSLR and I use a Fujifilm Finepix as my backup. It's a great camera, and takes excellent photos. I am also getting a smaller pns Panasonic Lumix for Christmas, this seems to be a great camera as well, but I have not tried it. I just read reviews on it. Check it out..

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3 ... 720&sr=8-2


Thanks so much I will check it out! Nikon is very nice, My friend whom I do a lot of work with uses I believe the D300, or whichever is the newest in that line.
My 'baby' is my 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens, man oh man I LOVE that lens, but admit I wish I had gotten the 70-300mm.


http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... erter.html

That's what you need for your camera, double the zoom power. I love my 55-200mm myself. Get the 2x adapter! You won't regret it.


Thanks so much! I will get one as soon as the holidays are over - beats trying to buy the 70-300!

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10882
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:05 am

Yea it seems like once you step above about 200mm, the prices go up into the thousands for a decent lens. It's crazy! I don't do it professionally, so I can't see dropping $1,700 into a lens. Yet alone $10,000+ like some of the major professionals use. I'll stick with my cheap $175 lens. :)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

User avatar
redkel
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:38 pm
Location: Ohio Valley
Contact:

Postby redkel » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:06 am

Sell your XS on e-bay -- you'll get more for it. Set-up a reserve price on it...describe it...show a picture of the warranty card, etc. You'll do well -- it's a popular set-up for prosumers right now.

Then get what you need/want! You'll definitely want to stick with Canon because of your existing Canon lenses and the 40D. Mind if I put your inquiry to my pro friend who shoots exclusively Canon? He'll have something immediate to say (knowing him) and suggest for you.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:25 am

teknoge3k wrote:Yea it seems like once you step above about 200mm, the prices go up into the thousands for a decent lens. It's crazy! I don't do it professionally, so I can't see dropping $1,700 into a lens. Yet alone $10,000+ like some of the major professionals use. I'll stick with my cheap $175 lens. :)


I used to do horse photos just for fun, but now I do it more professionally - I live in horse country, and absolutely love it. I did have to sink $$ into my lenses with the 70-200mm f2.8 and the 24-105mm f4. I do some work for a couple of websites, and a publication overseas -- I was able to go to the Kentucky Oaks/Kentucky Derby this year, something I as a fan had only dreamed of! I use my 70-200mm mostly at the local horse track, and some at the sales - especially indoors in the sales pavillion- it's amazing with the 2.8 and no flash! And the 24-105 is good at the sales, because sometimes you just can't get very far away.

However, I need to have 2 cameras, so if the situation calls I will have whichever I need - because I still prefer the 70-200mm. However, if your getting a side on shot of a horse, you have to get soooo far away with it! A lot of times that can be impossible, and with those lenses it's not good to change them <as you know>, especially with all the dust.

BTW, when I had my Olympus which is similar to the XS, I think the most expensive lens I had was $400 - 70-300 I believe it was an F4.5 And it worked great, but again, the speed wasn't there that I need for horse racing. But I LOVED that camera and the kit lens 40-150 was GREAT! I admit that I miss that lens.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:29 am

redkel wrote:Sell your XS on e-bay -- you'll get more for it. Set-up a reserve price on it...describe it...show a picture of the warranty card, etc. You'll do well -- it's a popular set-up for prosumers right now.

Then get what you need/want! You'll definitely want to stick with Canon because of your existing Canon lenses and the 40D. Mind if I put your inquiry to my pro friend who shoots exclusively Canon? He'll have something immediate to say (knowing him) and suggest for you.


Thanks! If I do sell it, then I'll list it this evening, and definitely set a reserve.
That is fine about talking to your friend. I use the 40D, and actually want to get a second one, if I can find one that isn't used, most likely will happen in January after the holidays. I was going to get the 50D, but I've heard there isn't much difference, I think 50D might have live view, which I honestly would never use, I prefer the view finder. The 50D is about $200-400 more than the 40D depending on where you look/what kind of bundle you want. Since I already have two lenses, I don't need another lens right now, although a short zoom that is f2.8 would be lovely <I can't remember the size something similar to the 24-105 though>.

I was hoping the XS would work out so I could work on getting an external flash instead.

User avatar
bfaddict
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4808
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:19 pm
Contact:

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 am

sorry to jump in here but you guys are talking about some cameras that i'm looking at. I'm wanting to upgrade to a camera that I can get different lenses for, especially a telephoto lens.
I'm usually all for canon but I think I want to go the nikon route. Lots of people have recommended the D40 or D70 but where do you find these to purchase in new condition? I'd like to get one that comes in a package deal with a couple lenses.

The only one I can find that's comparable in price in stores is the D3000 but haven't heard anyone mention it. Best buy will have the d3000 on BF with regular lense and telephoto lens for about $700

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10882
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:48 am

bfaddict wrote:sorry to jump in here but you guys are talking about some cameras that i'm looking at. I'm wanting to upgrade to a camera that I can get different lenses for, especially a telephoto lens.
I'm usually all for canon but I think I want to go the nikon route. Lots of people have recommended the D40 or D70 but where do you find these to purchase in new condition? I'd like to get one that comes in a package deal with a couple lenses.

The only one I can find that's comparable in price in stores is the D3000 but haven't heard anyone mention it. Best buy will have the d3000 on BF with regular lense and telephoto lens for about $700


I highly doubt you'll find one with a package of a couple of lenses. I searched when I found my D40, and you can get it with the 18-55 lens, but anything other you need to purchase. I had to purchase my 55-200mm lens which was around $175. Anything higher than that, is going to be a few hundred per lens. Amazon is where I got mine though, for the best price.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

azerigold
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:01 am

bfaddict wrote:sorry to jump in here but you guys are talking about some cameras that i'm looking at. I'm wanting to upgrade to a camera that I can get different lenses for, especially a telephoto lens.
I'm usually all for canon but I think I want to go the nikon route. Lots of people have recommended the D40 or D70 but where do you find these to purchase in new condition? I'd like to get one that comes in a package deal with a couple lenses.

The only one I can find that's comparable in price in stores is the D3000 but haven't heard anyone mention it. Best buy will have the d3000 on BF with regular lense and telephoto lens for about $700


Do LOTS of shopping and price matching. I NEVER try to buy from a store like Best Buy<Unless it's something like Black Friday>, etc. unless it's a GOOD deal, so definitely price match on the D3000 - I honestly have no clue how good of a price that is. But just keep your eyes open for good deals.

Check out ebay - find reputable sellers with excellent feedback scores and no less than 80,000 sells <that's my standard>. Also it MUST HAVE 1 YEAR MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY. I don't accept store warranties at all, unless it was just an extended warranty.

You can find bundles where you won't need to buy anything extra.
My first camera came with EVERYTHING I needed - 2 kit lenses <14-45mm & 40-150mm>, a huge carry bag that I still use and LOVE, 2 batteries/charger, memory card, and lots of other goodies too!
That was a few years ago, and I think for everything I paid $600 - it was a factory demo, you'd never have known it was ever out of the box, and it had a full 1 year warranty.

My current camera, brand new, came with a camera bag, a small lens, battery/charger, 2- 8GB memory cards, lens cleaning cloth & spray, card reader, lightweight - full sized tripod. It has a full warranty, plus on the auction they had a phone number so I called and when I bought the camera, I also ordered my lens, and it was about $200 less and brand new, full warranty. All together I saved well over $300, especially if you take into consideration the price of the memory cards!

So you can really find some great deals on ebay! And you wouldn't have to buy anything extra if you get a bundled setup, just make sure you find one that has the lens you want.

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10882
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:05 am

eBay is okay.. I personally suggest trying Craigslist first. There, you can talk the person down on price, it's local, no shipping, etc.

You got a good deal if you had the lenses included with your camera! I couldn't find anything like that new, anywhere.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

User avatar
bfaddict
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4808
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:19 pm
Contact:

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:15 am

buying from ebay or craigslist for something so expensive makes me REALLY nervous!
my parents are buying it for me for xmas so I want to be able to find them the best deal but I know my dad won't go for buying it on ebay, he got screwed over big time with buying some electronic stuff on there. and my dad is HUGE HUGE HUGE into buying extended service warranties with the store. i think it just makes him feel better about the purchase, plus we have used them quite a bit in the past so they do end up being handy.

Now after saying that I think I will check out ebay and keep an eye out for the sellers with 80k+ in sales. most likely they probably have their own business and website to make them a little more legit.

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10882
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:26 am

bfaddict wrote:buying from ebay or craigslist for something so expensive makes me REALLY nervous!
my parents are buying it for me for xmas so I want to be able to find them the best deal but I know my dad won't go for buying it on ebay, he got screwed over big time with buying some electronic stuff on there. and my dad is HUGE HUGE HUGE into buying extended service warranties with the store. i think it just makes him feel better about the purchase, plus we have used them quite a bit in the past so they do end up being handy.

Now after saying that I think I will check out ebay and keep an eye out for the sellers with 80k+ in sales. most likely they probably have their own business and website to make them a little more legit.


Out of the 5 flat panel TVs in my house, 3 of them come from Craigslist. I also purchased 5 19" flat panel computer monitors from Craigslist. They're all still working great and the oldest is about 4 years old. I've also purchased 3 of my vehicles off of Craigslist. :)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests