DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

shopgirl83
Black Friday Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:17 pm

DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos?

Postby shopgirl83 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:47 pm

I haven't seen many DVRs on sale in the ad that have been posted so far, or at least not ones I liked. Any recommendations? I'm looking for a good quality one, not one of the cheap brands.

I'm also looking for a DVD/VCR combo for my mother. I heard Sears is going to have a Sony on sale for about $90 on BF. Is this a good one, or a good deal?

Adamixoye
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:14 pm

Re: DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos?

Postby Adamixoye » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:47 am

shopgirl83 wrote:I'm also looking for a DVD/VCR combo for my mother. I heard Sears is going to have a Sony on sale for about $90 on BF. Is this a good one, or a good deal?


That is not a deal at all if it is just a DVD player. I got a DVD/VCR for $40 on BF last year. If you look around enough you can probably get one for that price (or maybe $60-70 at worst) by just walking in somewhere.

If, however, you are looking for one that also records DVDs and/or "upconverts" DVDs, that would be a little more. The best deal (non-sale) I have found for a DVD recorder/VCR combo is around $150.

shopgirl83
Black Friday Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos?

Postby shopgirl83 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:04 pm

Adamixoye wrote:
shopgirl83 wrote:I'm also looking for a DVD/VCR combo for my mother. I heard Sears is going to have a Sony on sale for about $90 on BF. Is this a good one, or a good deal?


That is not a deal at all if it is just a DVD player. I got a DVD/VCR for $40 on BF last year. If you look around enough you can probably get one for that price (or maybe $60-70 at worst) by just walking in somewhere.

If, however, you are looking for one that also records DVDs and/or "upconverts" DVDs, that would be a little more. The best deal (non-sale) I have found for a DVD recorder/VCR combo is around $150.


I said in my original post that I wanted a DVD/VCR combo, not just a a DVD player. For $40 was it a very good one? I don't want one of those cheap Coby or Audiovox brands. I'm partial to Sony because of their quality and I've used most of their products in the past. I just don't know if the one Sears has is a very good one or not, that's what I'd like to know.

Adamixoye
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:14 pm

Re: DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos?

Postby Adamixoye » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:46 pm

shopgirl83 wrote:I said in my original post that I wanted a DVD/VCR combo, not just a a DVD player.


I am aware. My whole post was about combos with a VCR. When I said "just a player" I meant as opposed to a recorder or an upconverter, as explained in my post. (If I was talking about just DVD players without a VCR, you can get no-name ones for as little as $10 on BF.) The DVD/VCR combo that I got last year for $40 might not be the greatest (it's tunerless, for one) but it isn't a brand no one has ever heard of---it's a Zenith---and it has worked out fine for us so far. So I'll say what I said before...unless it's a recorder, an upconverter, or some crazy good brand that cooks your breakfast as well, I don't think $90 is a very good BF deal for a DVD/VCR combo. It's more like an average non-sale price, if that.

Now, is this even an item that's on the BF radar this year? (Meaning, is there a sale on one?) That's a different question. I haven't been looking.

shopgirl83
Black Friday Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos?

Postby shopgirl83 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:59 pm

Adamixoye wrote:
shopgirl83 wrote:I said in my original post that I wanted a DVD/VCR combo, not just a a DVD player.


I am aware. My whole post was about combos with a VCR. When I said "just a player" I meant as opposed to a recorder or an upconverter, as explained in my post. (If I was talking about just DVD players without a VCR, you can get no-name ones for as little as $10 on BF.) The DVD/VCR combo that I got last year for $40 might not be the greatest (it's tunerless, for one) but it isn't a brand no one has ever heard of---it's a Zenith---and it has worked out fine for us so far. So I'll say what I said before...unless it's a recorder, an upconverter, or some crazy good brand that cooks your breakfast as well, I don't think $90 is a very good BF deal for a DVD/VCR combo. It's more like an average non-sale price, if that.

Now, is this even an item that's on the BF radar this year? (Meaning, is there a sale on one?) That's a different question. I haven't been looking.


I don't know why you keep bring up DVD players because that's not what I want. The DVD/VCR combo is in the Sears ad. I mentioned that twice. That's why I'm asking.

Adamixoye
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:14 pm

Re: DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos?

Postby Adamixoye » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:17 pm

shopgirl83 wrote:I don't know why you keep bring up DVD players because that's not what I want. The DVD/VCR combo is in the Sears ad. I mentioned that twice. That's why I'm asking.


I haven't "kept bringing them up". In my first post, I may have been a little ambiguous, but I meant a DVD/VCR combo where the DVD half is only a regular player and not a recorder/upconverter. In my second post I brought up DVD-only players as a point of comparison to clarify my first post.

I'm aware of what you want (a combo), and I've answered your question twice already, but I looked at the Sears ad to be sure and I'll answer it a third time...I don't think the Sony DVD/VCR for $85 is a particularly good deal, unless having the name brand of Sony is very important to you. There is a Magnavox combo for $50 (after $10 mail-in rebate) at both Sears and K-Mart, and a Memorex combo at Target for $60. Do with that information what you want.

shopgirl83
Black Friday Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Postby shopgirl83 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:41 pm

I'll just wait for another opinion because I don't consider Magnavox or Memorex good brands.

User avatar
steffj89
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 4285
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: OK
Contact:

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:25 pm

what do you base a good brand on then? That magnavox is GREAT at that price. I paid 50 each for two of them a year ago and we absolutely love them...
they are made in combination with Phillips these days and have a good warranty as well. I still have a Magnavox VCR tbat works that I bought in 94.
Honestly dont base your opinion on the name on smaller electronics...
None of them are made to be particularly long lasting anymore and it makes no sense to pay 90$ for one if you can find one for 30-50 cause its not likely either one will last 5 years....
I tend to agree on memorex but only because i have seen too many fall apart in less than 6 mos.
Steff

shopgirl83
Black Friday Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Postby shopgirl83 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:41 pm

I've owned Magnavox products before, some of the worst purchases I've ever made.

User avatar
VerbalI11-23
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby VerbalI11-23 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:22 pm

i got a sony dvd/vcr combo for 50 dollars last year's black friday at fry's electronics. :lol:

shopgirl83
Black Friday Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Postby shopgirl83 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Ok, that helps. I was wondering if the price Sears had it for was any good. Are you happy with the one you bought? Or the person you bought it for?


Return to “Suggestions and Tips”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest